Make a difference and become a Dementia Friend

Dementia doesn’t discriminate and could affect us all. People with dementia often feel – and are – misunderstood, marginalised and isolated.

To tackle this Alzheimer’s Society’s Dementia Friends is the biggest ever initiative to transform the way the nation thinks, acts and talks about dementia.

Being a Dementia Friend is easy to do and could make a really big difference to those around us living with dementia.

A couple of months ago I was lucky enough to attend a Dementia Friends training session at work and became a fully-fledged Dementia Friend with a special badge and everything.

What is a Dementia Friend?

A Dementia Friend learns a little bit more about what it’s like to live with dementia and then turns that understanding into action – anyone of any age can be a Dementia Friend.

Whether you attend a face-to-face Dementia Friends Information Session or watch the online video, Dementia Friends is about learning more about dementia and the small ways you can help.

This can be as simple a telling friends about Dementia Friends to visiting someone you know living with dementia –  every action counts.

What action can you take?

Small actions can really make all the difference.

Try being patient in a shop queue if you’re behind someone who is struggling, or spend time with someone you know who’s living with dementia.

Where can I get more information?

Dementia Friends Information Sessions are run by volunteer Dementia Friends Champions, who are trained and supported by Alzheimer’s Society.

Each Information Session lasts around one hour.

You’ll learn more about dementia and how you can help to create dementia friendly communities. There are information sessions running across England and Wales and you can find one near you here.

Or you can watch the online video featuring Alex, Teresa and Emma who are all living with dementia and learn more about what it’s like to live with the condition.

Once you have watched the video you can sign up for your ‘Little Book of Friendship’, a resource pack which contains more information and tips on how you can support those living with dementia to feel a part of our communities.

Together we can make a difference to those living with dementia.

Pin this 👇🏻

You can also find me on Twitter @rachael_stray

Or follow my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/rachaelstrayblog/

You can see my random pictures on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rachys2011/

And see what I’m pinning on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.co.uk/rachaelstray/

38 thoughts on “Make a difference and become a Dementia Friend

1. suzie81speaks says:

My grandfather had dementia and The Bloke’s mother has it too – it’s such a heartbreaking and cruel disease and even with the improvements in care there’s still little understanding from some who have never experienced it in their own lives… What a great initiative – thanks so much for sharing it!

Liked by 2 people

2. Judy E Martin says:

I have looked after lots of people with Dementia and this is such a brilliant idea. Understanding what Dementia is like and how it can make people behave goes a long way towards integrating people with it into our society instead of isolating them. 🙂

3. Claire Saul (PainPalsBlog) says:

I have looked after many people with dementia over the years, and until you see it first hand you cannot appreciate the effect it has. It is not only the person themself who is robbed, but also the family & friends – in many cases it can be harder for the loved ones, who are watching someone slip away. It can happen at different rates, and affect different parts of the brain so leaving a gentle soul very aggressive, or robbing someone of their inhibitions. This is a fantastic scheme, Rachael that needs more workplaces and people like you taking part. I will definitely spread the word. x

Liked by 1 person

4. Kelsey @ There's Something About KM says:

Oh this makes my heart happy! My grandmother had dementia, and in my recent work with my local Alzheimer’s Association chapter, I’ve been able to meet others with this disease to learn more about what their more simple needs are and how the community (including myself) can be involved to help improve their quality of life. It’s a great reminder that a little kindness goes a long way!

Liked by 1 person

5. gemmaorton says:

Thanks for sharing this, what a great scheme. My Nan dementia and has had to move into a nursing home. It’s such an awful thing to see and understand. It’s so difficult to know what she understands now too. She was such a proud an independent lady.

Liked by 1 person

6. Fiona Maclean says:

My mum died 7 years ago and had moderate to severe dementia caused by multiple TIA and strokes. I spent a lot of time with her and we always managed to communicate. But, it was a hard period and I know I’d have appreciated other people ‘getting’ that when she said something it might just be a convoluted version of something real and serious. This is a great idea

Liked by 1 person