Do you ever go to use your makeup brush on a morning and realise that it’s so hard it hurts? Well that was me yesterday as I tried to apply my foundation and almost bruised my cheeks.
A few years ago I would’ve simply tossed said brush in the bin and bought a new one.
What a terrible waste that is.
So while my husband collects the Sunday paper and fills up his car, I’ve taken a few minutes this morning to give my makeup brushes a little TLC.
I don’t use any fancy cleansing solutions to clean my brushes. Just shampoo, anti-bacterial hand soap and water does the trick.
I’m terrible for never finishing a bottle of shampoo before starting another one, so I’ve always got one or two with a bit left over – perfect for makeup brushes.
How do I clean the brushes?
- Rinse with warm water and let it soak in shallow water. Be careful not to get the handle or higher of the brush wet as this can damage it.
- Massage the brush hairs with a few pumps of shampoo. You’ll see the cakey makeup start to come out. You might even feel a little bit sad you let it get this way.
- Rinse with warm water and feel satisfied watching the offending makeup wash away.
- You may need to repeat step 2 and 3 if it’s pretty bad and it’s been a while since the last clean. No judgement here.
- Massage in a few pumps of anti-bacterial soap.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Allow your brush to dry over the edge of somewhere like a shelf.
- Rotate the brush periodically.
- Enjoy nice-smelling, soft and almost like-new makeup brushes without breaking the bank.
I hope, like me, you’ll give your brushes the TLC they deserve and of course this is much better for your skin and bank balance.
While I was at it I thought I might as well give the same treatment to my hairbrushes as they’re often neglected too. Same method as above but also involved the not-so-nice job of extracting pulled-out hairs. Lovely!
It’s worth it for clean brushes though!
Pin this 👇🏻
Do you have any beauty tips you’d like to share? Let me know in the comments.
You can also find me on Twitter @rachael_stray
Or follow my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/rachaelstrayblog/
You can see my random pictures on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rachys2011/
And see what I’m pinning on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.co.uk/rachaelstray/