My darling hubby is Mr Romantic which is why I needed to get creative for his gift for Valentine’s Day this year.
Before our first date he had a beautiful bouquet of flowers delivered to my flat while I was getting ready. He’s kept up the tradition of buying me flowers ever since – I get a bunch every single week, not delivered to the door mind, usually from the supermarket – still it’s the thought that counts!
He’s all about the big grand romantic gestures including his proposal, I’ll tell you all about that in a future blog post.
Now me on the other hand I’m a little rubbish at the romance.
I love a rom-com as much as the next gal but I’m just not great at it myself. I did try my hardest for my wedding gift though – a handmade book of all the reasons why I love Steve – it took me weeks to make!
So this year as V-day loomed I had to get my thinking cap on.
As many of you know if you read my New year new beginnings post I started a new job last month and this has left me a little strapped for cash. Due to missing payday and the next one being oh so far away; this left me in a bit of a pickle for a present.
I decided to get creative and crafted a poem and a cunning plan!
Darling hubby I love you very much
I love the way you kiss and your gentle touch
We know you are the romantic one
So I’m trying not to be outdone
Although I do not have much money
I know you find me very funny
My gift is one you cannot open
Which is why I am hopin’
You’ll join me for 12 special dates
Which I hope you’ll find great
Where we’ll have lots of fun
Even if there’s not much sun
So here’s my plan
Across the North East we’ll gan
Newcastle, Tynemouth, Whitley Bay
Bowling, exploring, enjoying the sea spray
I’ve made a list I’ve checked it twice
It doesn’t matter if we’re naughty or nice
So what do you say?
Once a month we have a date day?
So my gift is actually 12 gifts!
I will be taking Steve for 12 special dates from February this year until 2019 where we can explore my native North East.
Excuse me while I just drop the mic on romance.
So here’s my special dates ideas in no particular order:
- Let’s watch a film at the fantastic Tyneside Cinema where we can enjoy an alcoholic drink with our popcorn and relax in comfortable seats.
- Let’s get up early on a Sunday morning and visit the arts and crafts market at and afterward go for a wander through Jesmond Dene.
- We can test our resilience and my wobbly legs at heights as we take on the challenge of Beamish Wild (it’s a bit like Go Ape but a lot closer!)
- Steve has a real hankering for some Geordie Bangers so let’s go for a walk along the stunning Newcastle Quayside on market day and pick up some of those sought-after sausages.
- From June to September the City Highlights Tour is on – a walking tour of my native Newcastle.
- Let’s grab a bite to eat at Riley’s Fish Shack at Tynemouth overlooking the sea.
- One evening we can laugh our socks off seeing a funny performance at the Stand Comedy Club.
- Let’s work up an appetite for a tasty treat by walking from North Shields Fish Quay to Cullercoats where we can visit Beaches and Cream for ice-cream sundaes.
- We can get back to your rural roots with a trip to Ouseburn Farm and see some lovely little animals.
- I want Steve to know more about my native North East so let’s pay a visit to the Great North Museum (formerly the Hancock Museum).
- We can go for a little drive and explore Bamburgh Castle in all its glory.
- Let’s get our mini golf on with an “out there” experience at the brand new Space Golf in Newcastle.
So how did we spend Valentine’s Day itself?
We enjoyed the two dine in deal from Tesco (saved the Champagne for another day) before Steve’s sister, husband and our niece came to spend a couple of days with us.
Not overly romantic but really lovely.
Steve surprised me with a gift that I really wanted – a FitBit and a single red rose.
I’ll of course keep you updated with our special dates and let you know how we get on!
What do you think of Valentine’s Day – is it over-rated, do you love it? Let me know in the comments below.
You can also find me on Twitter @rachael_stray
Or follow my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/rachaelstrayblog/
You can see my random pictures on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rachys2011/
And see what I’m pinning on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.co.uk/rachaelstray/